Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Memory Lane III- Tiffany


There aren't too many icons of glamor that are bigger and bolder than Tiffany & Co.. The robin egg blue boxes, the instantly recognizable store, Audrey and her breakfast...
Years before I had my first piece of Tiffany jewelry or even set foot in one of their stores, I owned a bottle of their original perfume. A bottle of pure femininity, glamor and mystique, which made my 22 year old self feel larger than life.

I knew very little about perfume back then, and couldn't really recognize notes. I didn't have much of a defined taste (other than realizing that peachy-fruity scents made me gag) and could barely recognize scent groups. I can't remember if I knew back then what's in the juice, but I knew that this one was BIG.

Tiffany perfume is, indeed, a big floral. Not as heady as tuberose based scents, but floral all the same. It's beautifully blended, so none of the flowers takes center stage. The notes are: rose, jasmine, iris, ylang-ylang and orange blossom. Like with other old favorites that I've been wearing for many years, I can't deconstruct the fragrance and analyze it even semi-objectively. I don't see notes. I see memories .

The elegant femininity of the bottle and the scent were what I craved when I first came across it. It was my evening and special occasion fragrance, and I still treat it as such. You have to dress and act like a lady when you're wearing Tiffany. And it gives you the confidence to do and be so. But, don't mistake it for an aloof, formal, Jackie O of a scent. It has warmth and sweetness that feels almost like vanilla, just not quite as simple. It's approachable and comforting.

Tiffany used to be more readily available than it is now. I've always bought bottles of the EdP, either from Sephora or online. Now it seems that you can only find it at Tiffany's website. everyone else is only selling the EdT if they have it at all. Tiffany also has a pure parfum version , and I'm seriously considering getting that one once I finish my current EdP bottle. I adore this scent as much as ever, but I wear it less often because of all the other bottles I have in rotation (not to mention my sampling habit). This is why I'm thinking that a tiny bottle of the pure essence might serve me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment