Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Barbara Bui- Another Lost Perfume




Barbara Bui Le Parfum is another victim of the Fragrance Grim Reaper, the mysterious Power that Be which discontinues lovely and interesting scents . This one didn't fall victim to the oakmoss curse (there isn't any of that in the juice), but probably to some bad (or non-existent) marketing. As a side note, while it's definitely discontinued here, in the US, it still appears on the designer's (terrible, flash-ridden) web site, so it might be available overseas.

The scent itself is as pleasant as Bui's fashion designs. It's pretty, sits well on the skin and has a certain quiet elegance. A warm incense perfume, with quite a bit of heliotrope in its heart, and a lot of soft, dry, ambery wood in the base. It's a bit powdery and I'd label it as a mostly feminine scent, but I'm pretty sure that an incense-loving man might wear it just as nicely. It might actually be sexier on a man, but might just be the way I perceive amber on men as opposed to on my own skin.

On my skin it's very clean and proper. The minimal sillage contributes to the reserved and collected feel of it. It refuses to last long, unless I make sure to drench myself in jojoba oil before applying, but when I do, it gives me about four hours of its presence.

You can still find it occasionally on eBay, usually for a better price than what they charge here.

Both images are from the designer's website. The outfit is part of the Spring 2008 collection. I see a visit to her NYC boutique in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment