Sunday, November 11, 2007

Fade to Blue- Bvlgari Blv Absolute


The connection between expensive jewelry and perfume isn't exclusive to Bvlgari. Cartier, Tiffany and the magnificent JAR are all doing it successfully. While Bvlgari perfumes probably sell more than all the others (combined?), they usually bore me to tears (with the notable exception of Bvlgari Black, but even that isn't something I ever felt I had to own: When it comes to rubber and vanilla, Dzing! by L'Artisan is much more interesting and satisfying for me), and I suspect that there's something in most of them that completely evades my nose. I can't even smell the Omnia series. It's just not there. Add Kate Moss, who is the current face of their Pour Femme, and no wonder I never considered owning a bottle of any Bvlgari perfume.

Would the limited edition of Bvlgari Blv Absolute change this?

The answer is no.

Blv Absolute (2002) is supposed to be a deeper, more concentrated version of the original Blv, and it has the same official notes of spicy citrus, ginger, mimosa, wisteria, musk, vanilla and sandalwood. The opening is sharp and peppery, the ginger is more loud than exotic or warm and the whole thing smells chemical and synthetic. The under-the-sink aroma mellows down within 15-20 minutes, into a sweet, musky floral. It's a relief from the opening, but that's all I can say for it.

As the fragrance dries down the infamous musk more or less over and I can barely smell the remains of the fragrance. Yes, there's some vanilla there, but sandalwood? who knows. It's been swallowed by the invisible musk.

My personal feeling is that the people of Bvlgari are aiming low, as in Light Blue low. There's nothing that feels expensive, luxurious or special about it, which is really a shame. Their name deserves far better than this perfume, which is (not surprisingly) available for 50% or less of its original price tag from most online discounters.

No comments:

Post a Comment