Monday, October 19, 2009

Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free SPF 15


Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free SPF 15 sounds promising: "An advanced alternative to liquid foundation that creates a youthful, healthy glow and offers SPF 15 sun protection". But my doubts about it started quickly. First, it's a lot thicker than you'd expect from a tinted moisturizer. Actually, the texture and coverage are pretty much foundation-like, and definitely heavier than my holy grail, Chanel Vitalumier. It's not a bad thing, as some days we all need a little extra help, but why call it a tinted moisturizer if it's really a foundation?

The second issue was color. I had several samples in both Light Beige and Sand. Light Beige was at least two shades too dark for me, though the undertone was good. Diluting it with moisturizer helped a little, but it was still not perfect. Sand was just off on me. On my face it showed with a yellow peach base that clashed with skin tone, and no amount of tweaking and blending could get it right. I guess I could try Ivory, but that's the lightest shade in the Hourglass range, and I promise you, I don't have ivory skin.

I tested about ten samples of this tinted moisturizer, with and without primers. Each sample was enough for about two uses, so I believe I gave it more than enough chances, but just couldn't love this product. Even worse, every time I used it without a primer I ended up with a couple of clogged pores. It's not a scientific experiment, so I can't be sure the Hourglass TM was always the culprit, but it kept happening so I doubt this was a coincidence.

Bottom line: Great coverage, just not for me.

Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free SPF 15 ($55) is available from Sephora and Barneys. I received the samples with my recent Sephora orders and got a few more in store.

Photo: Mademoiselle magazine, September 1966 from Sugarpie Honeybunch on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment