Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Divine L'Homme Sage


Maybe it's the weather, but I'm in a mood for wearing masculine perfumes this week. Divine is a niche brand from Dinard, on the north coast of Brittany, France. L'Homme Sage is among their masculine offerings, and one I like to borrow for myself. A spicy, woody leather? I have to, really.

I usually avoid L'Homme Sage during the summer. Hot weather brings out the fruit notes (lychee!) with intensity, and that's not necessarily a good thing. But any other time, it's all about delicate spice and sweet leather, and the result is a softer, more powdery version of Daim Blond. The note list doesn't mention orris, but I could swear I smell an iris accord. There's something plush and warm in the heart, with just a hint of manly raggedness. Wearing it feels like borrowing a man's leather jacket that surprisingly fits me well, and snuggling in it on a brisk day. It's quite romantic, actually.

The "sage" in the name refers to wisdom, not to the herb. This is a lovely idea- to celebrate intelligence and good judgment instead of whatever it is that makes one name a fragrance "I Am King". It's sexy in a Patrick Stewart kind of way. I wear it, the husband wears it, and I could see Captain Jean-Luc Picard wearing it. Or so I wish.

L'Homme Sage by Divine ($125, 50 ml EDP) is available from Luckyscent and the company's website, divine.fr.

No comments:

Post a Comment